Title: CATCH UP ON COBRA STARSHIP
BY JHO MARIANO
EDITED BY JAMIE ORTEGA
Smash Project presents four amazing bands all in one night– Dashboard Confessional, The Cab, The Used and Cobra Starship! Don’t miss this smashing event this coming 8th of March at the Smart Araneta Coliseum; gates open at 6pm. Buy your tickets now at TicketNet (911-5555). Ticket prices are as follows: Patron (PT 101 & 103 - Standing) - P4240; Patron Seated (Reserved Seating) - P4240; Lower Box (Reserved Seating) - P3710; Upper Box A (Reserved Seating) - P2650; Upper Box B (Free Seating) - P1060; General Admission (Free Seating) - P530.
Here are some interesting facts about the band:
• Another name Gabe thought of calling the band was Hot Child in the City. WeI think Cobra Starship sounds way cooler!
• Gabe Saporta: (on the inspiration for the band's name) I love, like, old vintage jackets and had this one that said Cobra on it from the Sylvester Stallone movie. And I had another one, it was like a total Michael Jackson jacket with the zippers and stuff from the '80s, and on the back it said Starship Disco, so I just put both of them together.
• The group released their debut album back in 2006. "Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)", is the debut single of the band from the soundtrack album Snakes on a Plane: The Album.
• Cobra Starship's debut CD, While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets, was released October 10, 2006. It reached #125 on the Billboard Hot 200 chart. Gabe Saporta wrote most of the songs in the album.
• The song and video for Snakes On A Plane (Bring It) features William Beckett of The Academy Is . . ., Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes, MajaIvarsson of The Sounds, and Gabe Saporta of Midtown. The video is a slight take-off of the movie, where the four singers are sneaking snakes onto a plane. To get away with this, Maja distracts one of the airport employees.
• Talk about a rock collaboration at its’ finest! The band's Decaydance Record label owner Pete Wentz has quick cameos in the videos for Snakes On A Plane (Bring It) and The City Is At War.
• While the video for Snakes On A Plane (Bring It) is like the movie Snakes on a Plane, the real meaning of the song is quite different, it is about the "snakes," finks, and sneaky people in the music industry.
• The band likes to put a comedic flair in their music. They created parodies of Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl called Hollaback Boy and of Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl called I Kissed A Boy.
• ¡Viva La Cobra!, their second album was released in late 2007.
• They played MTV Spring Break, Bamboozle East, West, in London, Tokyo and Canada.
• Their third albumwas released in August 11, 2009, Hot Mess. The lead single for this album, "Good Girls Go Bad", charted at number #2 in New Zealand.
• In late August, 2011, the band released their fourth studio album, Night Shades. The lead single, "You Make Me Feel..." featuring rapper Sabi, debuted at number #1 in New Zealand.
• Cobra Starship did two different versions of the video for Guilty Pleasure. The first is in the form of a home movie, while the second version is mocking an actual music video.
• Cobra Starship's song The City Is At War was used for promos for the show Top Chef: New York.
• Cobra Starship worked with VIP Party Boys in the song, Damn You Look Good And I'm Drunk (Scandalous), which is on their album ¡Viva La Cobra!.
• Did you know that their lead singer Gabe Saporta is a vegetarian? He is a strong member of Peta.
• Gabe Saporta: (for Action for Animals) How weird is it that we call certain animals pets and treat them like members of the family, and yet other animals we label food and suck the meat off their bones... we have so many food choices and options - so why make an animal suffer, and why take the life of another living thing, if I don't really need it in order to survive.
• Cobra Starship has a fake MTV reality show on YouTube. The band lives in a house and deals with their day to day drama.
• Cobra Starship's song, Pleasure Ryland, is named after Ryland Blackinton, the guitarist of the band.
• Ryland Blackinton has an alter-ego named Guy Ripley, a British journalist. He interviews the band but is most interested in Vicky-T. Ripley's catchphrase isDelicious.
• ¡Viva La Cobra! was the first album the whole band collaborated on and was released on October 23, 2007. It was written while they were on the 2007 Honda Civic Tour and produced by Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump. The album also reached #80 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart.
• At a concert in Rhode Island on November 27, 2007, Saporta's favorite pair of jeans ripped at the crotch. In a later video on Cobra's website, Gabe requested that fans bring sewing kits to concerts so the jeans could be repaired, which they did. Hahaha Talk about supportive fans!
• Cobra Starship covered Lionel Richie's song Three Times a Lady for the reality show The Girls Next Door.
• Patrick Stump, producer of Cobra Starship's second album, made an appearance in the video Send My Love To TheDancefloor, I'll See You In Hell (Hey Mr. DJ).
• The band’s videos are Snakes On A Plane (Bring It), The Church Of Hot Addiction, Send My Love To The Dancefloor, I'll See You In Hell (Hey Mr. DJ), Guilty Pleasure: Home Movie, The City Is At War, Guilty Pleasure, Kiss My Sass: Home Movie, featuring Travis McCoy, Guilty Pleasure, and Good Girls Go Bad, featuring Leighton Meester.
• Alex Suarez and Ryland Blackinton, already have their own band called Ivy League.
• In 2006, a four-song CD demo was leaked onto the Internet with the tracks Bring It(the version that is not for "Snakes On A Plane"), Keep It Simple, Send My Love To The Dance Floor, and The Kids Are All F***ed Up.
• The song The Church Of Hot Addiction was featured on a commercial for TGI Fridays in 2007.
• In late 2006, Cobra Starship replaced Bloc Party for the second half of the Nothing Rhymes With Circus Tour, which featured headliner Panic! At The Disco.