Written by Jamie Ortega
Prepare to be electrified as Keane, one of the biggest British alternative rock bands in THE WORLD, mesmerizes Manila with its’ unique brand of music on October 2, 2012 at the SM Mall Of Asia Arena. Not excited? Here are 10 reasons why you should be.
1) They are trailblazers. We are of course talking about singer Tom Chaplin, pianist Tim Rice-Oxley, drummer Richard Hughes, and bassist Jesse Quin who all thought about making an album without the use of guitars. While other bands have guitars as the focal point of their music, Keane decided to focus on the piano. The result? Their platinum-selling debut album Hopes And Fears
2) Let the numbers speak for themselves- 9,000,000 –the number of copies Hopes And Fears sold worldwide. 4-the number their second album Under The Sea debuted on the US billboard charts. 1- the number their third album Perfect Symmetry reached on the UK charts within a week of release , making them one of three bands in UK pop history to have five consecutive number 1 albums. Need we say more?
3) The Keane sound. Keane is known for its’ very emotional style- a mesmerizing fusion of piano driven ballads, booming choral arrangements and emotionally–charged orchestrations that never fails to tug at the heartstrings of their fans
4) They wear their hearts on their sleeves- well, sorta. Keane’s lyrics talk about love, loyalty, friendship and nostalgia, sentiments that people can relate to, but they do it in quite a cryptic manner. Instead of spoon feeding it to their audience, the band encourages their listeners to interpret the songs in their own way.
5) The band isn’t afraid to experiment. While Hopes And Fears had more of a piano-rooted rock feel, their second album Under The Iron Sea was laced with tinges of electronica. A risk which ultimately paid off because the album reached the number one spot in the UK and debuted at number 4 in the Billboard’s Top 200 list PLUS received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Vocal Performance. The band finally made use of guitar in their 3rd album Perfect Symmetry which resulted in a number of hit singles like The Lovers Are Losing, Love Is The End, and Better Than This. Seriously, these guys can do no wrong!
6) They’re in 3D! In 2009 Keane became the first ever band to broadcast a live show in 3D. The show was held in Abbey Rod in London. They played the song Better Than This. If that isn't cool we don’t know what is!
7) Somewhere Only We Know. If you haven’t heard of this song let me help you out of that rock you've been living under. The phenomenal third single from their first album has been covered by music greats Natasha Bedingfield, Lifehouse, and the entire cast of Glee.
8) They are such determined lads. Did you know that they recorded their debut album Hopes And Fears at pianist Tim Rice-Oxyley’s parents farmhouse and cows kept on showing up?
9) They are very multi-talented! Other bands have members solely focused on their instruments. But not Keane! The tune Your Love from the album Night Train featured songwriter pianist Tim Rice-Oxley on lead vocals for the very first time! According to lead vocalist Tom Chaplin, they liked Tim’s demo vocals of the song so much they decided to keep it that way. “"Had we gone into the studio intending to make a full album, I don't think we would have given Tim the job of singing. But because of the way we made this record, we just ran out of time to record my vocals for it. The longer we lived with the demo vocal Tim had done for it, the more we liked it. I really love that song and love the spirit in which it came about as well,” Chaplain explains
10) It’s their first time to perform in Manila- so grab your tickets now!
The Strangeland Tour: Keane LIVE in Manila! October 2, 2012 at the Mall of Asia Arena. Get your tickets now at SM Tickets, Call 470-2222 or visit www.smtickets.com to buy tickets ONLINE. This event is brought to you by Trilogy Live and Dayly Entertainment.