Written by Jamie Ortega
People may call her by many names- Jennifer Lopez, Jenny From The Block, JLO-but no matter what they may use when it comes to her talent, her beauty and her inimitable style her fans and supporters all say the same thing- Jennifer Lopez is an ICON and an INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR.
On that note, the Philippines was very lucky to see the Latina sensation perform live at her two-hour jampacked concert last November 26, 2012 held at the Mall Of Asia Arena. The former American Idol judge wove her musical magic from start to finish: from the amazing set list (full of JLO’s popular hits) to the shiny, glittery and oh-so-sexy onstage outfits, to the show –stopping, hard-hitting, body-bumping dance moves, to the awe-inspiring set design it was an absolutely phenomenal show. To separately sum up how we felt here’s a rundown of what made JLO Live In Manila so great:
1) The repertoire- Have you been to a concert where you sometimes feel like youre waiting for the artist’s two hits as they sing unknown songs from their nth album? Well, this show didn’t have that as JLO sang all her hits starting with Get Right from her fourth studio album Rebirth to Love Don’t Cost A Thing from her second studio album, JLO. Fans of the old-school JLO swag weren’t disappointed either as she sang I’m Real, Aint It Funny and Jenny From The Block. Fans of JLO’s more recent indak-inducing tunes like On The Floor got a dose of that towards the end of the show capped by a sizzling dance duet finale between JLO and dancer-choreographer beau Casper Smart. The acoustic set in the middle of the concert where JLO was given a chance to showcase her softer side with tunes like Until It Beats No More and the nostalgia-inducing If You Had My Love were well-spaced as well.
2) The outfits! Apart from being one of the world’s top performers, JLO is also an established fashion icon, and the outfits that the triple threat wore, all designed by Lebansese designer Zuhair Murad were simply BREATHTAKING!!!!!!!!!!! It began with the dazzling gold strapless cut in several parts with matching strappy sandals followed by a silver top-and-sweatpants, a sexily-cut red gown, a flow Grecian-inspired blue dress: all the shine, glitter and sheer everywhere spelled glamour
3) The Love she has for the Philippines -Tired of the usual “Mahal Kita Manila?” sentiments from foreign performers? We feel ‘ya. JLO veered away from that by grabbing a Philippine flag from the audience, and wearing it like a cape! She also took a camera onstage, snapped a photo with it and returned it to the audience. Another touching moment was when she brought a fan(who turned out to be Sharon Cuneta and Sarah Geronimo’s road manager) onstage and sang to her. She did say “Mahal kita,” but the accompanying acts were more than enough to show that she really meant it.
4) The sexy bodies!!! JLO is known for her beautiful assets which were well-displayed at the show. Aside from her gorgeous behind, the crowd openly admired JLO’s rock hard abs and smooth skin. (Note to men: real women have curves! Gone are the days when stick-thin is in!!) The girls in the audience had their fair share of eye candy as well as JLO’s male dancers took their tops off after the playful tune “Papi” displaying lean and mean torsos. Yummy!
5) The production design- the show’s several themes, Old Hollywood glamor, a boxing arena, a sexy 50s cabaret, were completely breathtaking. Each segment included laser lights, fireworks, and shiny confetti.
6) The VIP’s and celebrities in the audience - A red carpet was set up at the Mall Of Asia arena where photographers took snap shots of the steady of stars and politicians making their way to the venue. SPOTTED: Kim Chiu, Maja Salvador, Boy Abunda, Richard Gomez, Senator Bong Revilla, Lani Mercado, Jessy Mendiola, Sarah Lahbati, Anne Curtis, Divine Lee, Daniel Matsunaga, and many more!