SEARCH MANILA CONCERT SCENE

Monday, April 1, 2013

Concert Roundup: Top 10 things I learned from Foursome: The Repeat


Concert Roundup: Top 10 things I learned from Foursome: The Repeat
Written by Jamie Ortega || Photos by Kris Rocha


  1.    Last Saturday, March 16, 2013, I learned a couple of things from the Foursome: The Repeat concert held at the Mall Of Asia Arena, and here is the first: that not every concert deserves a second run, but in this case I will gladly give an exception. It is not every day that you get four of the best artists in the country, Ogie Alcasid, Regine Velasquez, Pops Fernandez, and Martin Nivera for one spectacular show that lit up the Mall Of Asia Arena  and I was very happy to be a part of it.
  2.    Concerts that begin on a high note set the mood for the entire night. For the opening number Regine, Ogie, Martin and Pops  energized the entire arena with an energetic rendition of The Wanted’s I Found You. Regine wore a black tube and shorts with a gold shawl covering her entire body while Pops flaunted her sexy figure in a red dress. Both Martin and Ogie looked dapper in gray suits. Their voices blended naturally 
  3.   The best OPM tunes never go out of style. When Martin and Ogie sang the of one another nearly everyone in the audience was singing, clapping, cheering and wishing that they had someone to hold hands with (guilty as charged!) Martin sang Ogie including Sa Piling Mo, Kailangan Kita, and Ikaw Ang Aking Pangarap, while Ogie sang Martin’s songs including How Can I and You Are My Song. As a fan of Martin ever since I was 9 years old  (I remember dancing in our  living room to his older hits like Say That You Love Me and Be My Lady), this was really a treat.  It brought me back to my younger years. In my heart he will forever be the Concert King.
  4.   Every performer needs their moment in the spotlight. The beauty of this concert was that everyone had their solo set and no one out sang or out staged one another. Out of all the four acts, Regine Velasquez aka Asia’s Songbird, seemed to have the most fans.  They wouldn’t stop cheering during her set! The Songbird began her repertoire with What Kind Of A Fool Am I, You’ll Never Walk Alone, and And I Am Telling You. I liked her choice of songs because they fit the crowd composed mostly of yuppies and older men and women. It also showcased her amazing “birit” prowess.
  5.    Comedy is always good. I liked the novelty number between Regine and Ogie where Ogie would translate into Tagalog songs that Regine sang like Yesterday by The Beatles and George Canseco’s Ngayon At Kailanman. It showed how cute they are as a couple, how they can make fun of each other, and still be madly in love with one another. Aww!
  6.    It’s always good to go into the audience to spice things up. Ogie went into the audience during his set as he sang the songs Sa Kanya and Kung Mawawala Ka. He even joked when an elderly woman ran up to kiss him that she is his main market.
  7.    Regine and Pops are friends- because Pops was gone from the limelight for quite a while and Regine  never really talked about it I never knew that they are good friends. Their kulitan moment was so sweet as Pops, in a pink and silver gown, and Regine, in a white embroidered frock, exchanged jokes with another. They playfully mentioned that the people in the patron section were more demure than the ones in the lower section because they screamed the less. They also made fun of their out of town bonding moments as Regine playfully told Pops how “kuripot” she is. For them to be able to say these things onstage only goes to show how fond they are of one other. The two divas capped off their “kulitan moments” with ‘80s songs including Cyndi Lauper’s True Colours and Madonna’s Crazy For You.
  8.    Martin and Pops still have chemistry. The Concert King and Queen lit up the stage with their kilig-inducing duets that made me miss my highschool and gradeschool years. I must say it was one of the best moments of the concert!  Even if they’ve happily gone their separate ways, that set, together with their old photos flashed onscreen, reminded me of how powerful their love team was. I adored their choice of songs because it was like they were sharing their love story through music. They sang Don’t Say Goodbye, Times Of Your Life, Pagdating ng Panahon and Ikaw Lang Ang Mamahalin
  9.    Gary V is Gary V. And I mean that in the best possible way. Having a special guest like Gary V brought so much power to an already amazing concert. I loved that he sang his older songs like Di Bale Na Lang and Eto Na Naman. A priceless moment was when Ogie and Martin were trying to copy Gary’s moves. Where does Gary get all his energy at his age? And why does it seem like he doesn’t know how to grow old?
  10.    Crazy unexpected antics are welcome- as long as they don’t disrupt the flow of the show. Martin singing Be My Lady to the camera man, serenading BB Gandanghari, singing to comedian Michael V, all five artists (including Gary V) bringing Zsa Zsa Padilla onstage for a couple of jokes, it spiced up the concert and kept it from being too predictable and boring. After Regine hinted about the possibility of a Sixome concert (the Foursome cast including Regine and Zsa Zsa) I just can’t wait for it to happen! Whoever said OPM and local acts are dead probably didn’t see this show- there are so many amazing musicians in the country and I hope we have more shows of this caliber in the future. 
See more photos from the concert here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151816763773032

No comments:

Facebook Page


Manila Concert Scene on Google+

INSTAGRAM: @ManilaConcerts


Hey MCS!